• 2 thick slices whole wheat bread
• 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
• 6 slices cucumber
• 2 tablespoons alfalfa sprouts
• ½ avocado, mashed
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tomato, sliced
• 1 leaf lettuce
• 1ounce pepperoncini, sliced
Directions: Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon cream cheese.
On one slice of bread, arrange cucumber slices in a single layer.
Cover with sprouts, and then sprinkle with oil and vinegar.
Layer tomato slices, lettuce, and pepperoncini.
Spread other slice of bread with mashed avocado.
Close sandwich and serve immediately.
California Grilled Veggie Sandwich (From Allrecipes.com)
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/8 cup olive oil
• 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
• 1 small zucchini, sliced
• 1 red onion, sliced
• 1 small yellow squash, sliced
• 2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don't burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.