From 1889 to 1947 this school district saw many changes as
the community grew from a rural farming area to a thriving coal camp after the
sinking of the deep coal mine No. 8 owned by the Pittsburg National Coal and
Records show that the one-room school building served the
pupils of School District No. 100 from 1889 to 1908 when the enrollment had
grown to 94 pupils.
In this year a new
building was added.
It was a three-room
T-shaped, one story, frame building which was erected to the south of the then
existing one-room school.
enrollment for both high school and grade school students reached a peak of 262
pupils in 1919, which was contained in three buildings with 8 rooms in use,
then gradually decreased to an enrollment of 21 in 1947, back to a one-room
school in summer of 1947, District No. 100 and No. 107, Curranville, were
united to firm district No. 130, known as Foxtown Union School which began its
first school term in September 1947.
As enrollment increased and it became necessary to begin a
high school in 1915, (The authenticity of this date has not been fully
More research is in
progress.), the one-room building was moved to Foxtown, (this too, is hearsay),
still retaining the name Fairview
and a two-story, 4-room building was erected on the vacated site.
The grade school was housed in the T-shaped,
3-room, frame building.
Later the high
school was moved to the T-shaped building and the grade school to the 2-story;
In summer of 1927,
the T-shaped building was replaced by a new 2-story building, consisting of a
superintendent’s office, two classrooms, and gymnasium auditorium on the lower
floor and study hall or assembly room on the second floor.
This building was destroyed by fire in April
The now existing building was
built the following summer in time to resume school in the fall of 1928.
The two-story, four-room building was in use
until 1942 when it was again being used as a high school.
The transition had been made in 1936 when the
high school enrollment could not be contained in the three-classroom
It was during the 1930’s that
the high school enrollment reached its peak.
The one-story building became the grade school, having three classrooms
and the large auditorium-gymnasium being used by both high school and grade
The two-story building
was converted into a library, study hall, three classrooms, and a
was demolished sometime between 1941 and 1946.
The school’s name was changed from Fairview
to Cockerill in 1921 according to records found in the Register of Deeds Office
in Girard, Kansas
It has not been truly established why the name was changed, as several
versions have been offered and more research is still in progress.
In the 60 years, School District No. 100, known both as
Fairview and Cockerill, educated and sent forth into the world many men and
Using the combined best efforts
of students and teachers, it received recognition in winning many first place
honors in all academic phases; athletics, speech, drama, music, and al other
received in county, state, and national competition.
Two hundred seventy-three students were graduated from its four-year
high school which was in existence for eighteen years, but hundreds of others
have attended classes in this school and loyalty and pride remain with all its
students and teachers.