Pushcart Onion Sauce
about 2 cups (enough for 6 to 8 hot dogs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup water
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and sauté until golden and limp, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup then add cinnamon, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Stir in water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
This is really great spooned over cooked hot dogs, but try it with other foods, too, and watch how fast they disappear!