Holiday Season Stress: What is it?
From the moment the air turns crisp, the leaves begin to fall and the time changes, I begin to feel this pressure in my chest and my list making furry begins. We are entering the most festive and typically, the most demanding time of the year. Demands both on our profressional and personal lives. We are juggling holiday party plans, shopping, making travel plans, managing a variety of family obligations and trying to determine just how much we can financially afford to do this Holiday Season. With all of this to manage, our minds and bodies are put through the ringer. The Holiday Season stress can greatly impact our overall well-being and preclude us from actually enjoying this time of year. It is normal to feel overwhelmed during the holiday season. We are overwhelmed with the media hype, sales ads and pressure. The pressure to meet everyone's demands and to have the perfect holiday can be overwhelming. However, it is important to be aware of signs that the Holidays are pushing you into some dangerous territory.
1. The Baa Hum Bugs are taking over...finding that you are cranky and moody more days than not.
2. When you are engaging in holiday prep you are feeling rushed, pressured and overwhelmed...you truly are being PRESENT in the moment
3. Feeling OVER tired. Finding yourself dragging out of bed each morning
4. Headaches, chest pains, stomach pains-all signs of significant stress
5. Increase in unhealthy eating-typically carbohydrates and alcohol consumption or loss of appetite
6. Significant weight loss or weight gain
7. The kids are cranky and dreading going to the next holiday function