Heavy smoke and fire at a Pittsburg home takes the life of a man sleeping inside but fire fighters believe a simple safety precaution could have prevented the tragedy. A neighbor called 9-1-1 after seeing smoke coming from the windows, but it was not soon enough for the victim. The state fire marshal is investigating the blaze, but local fire fighters were able to determine the fire began near a sleeper sofa in the living room...and say a cigarette may be to blame. James Atchleys body was found shortly after crews arrived at the scene. He was found near a broken window in the kitchen. Fire fighters were able to bring James Atchley out of the home, but he later died at a Pittsburg hospital, most likely from smoke inhalation. It appears he tried to escape the blaze through a broken window in the kitchen. It could be another week before the state fire marshal releases a formal cause for the deadly fire. Atchley was the only one in the duplex at the time of the fire. Fire fighters say last night`s fire is yet another reminder of the dangers of smoking in bed.