JOPLIN, MO.--- Firefighters were called to 1323 Broadway just before 5:30 p.m. They were forced to tear a whole in the roof to ventilate the massive amount of smoke. Fire officials say there was significant damage to the interior of the house. The home owner believes her kids accidentally knocked over a candle in her bedroom. Firefighters warn residents, as it gets colder, be careful when using supplemental heating.
"Caution, caution, caution. No free open burning flames, have them all contained one way or another. Only use approved UL heating devices," states Doug Nolan, JFD Battalion Chief.
No one was injured in the blaze. Red Cross workers are finding a place for the family to stay tonight.