JOPLIN, MO.--- It's National Poison Prevention Week and veterinarians want to remind animal owners that it's simple house hold items which pose the greatest threat to their pets. Doctor Regan Birkner at Main Street Pet Care in Joplin says dogs will pretty much taste or eat just about anything, which is why pet owners must be aware of toxic items around the house. Human food, human medications and rodenticides are among the most common toxins that poison dogs.
Doctor Birkner says most of their poison cases involve pets eating rat poison. "The biggest thing is to keep them in their bottles and to keep them up, both where children and pets can't get to them. It sounds silly, but you know the child proof locks for children under the counter? Works great for dogs too, so we recommend those."
He adds owners need to be aware that something as simple as a grape and even certain chewing gums can be deadly for a family pet.